I had the privilege of being able to go to a writers conference a couple months ago and was able to listen to agents critique other people’s query letters. Here’s what I learned:
- They liked hearing that the novel was completed
- Hearing that beta readers like the book was a big plus
- They want to hear what the main characters motivations were
- Hearing what was at stake could make or break the pitch
- They did want to hear a little bit of world building, but too much can sink it
- It’s nice to hear if you envision the book as part of the series
And most importantly they recommended the blog Query Shark and told us to read every post because that was what covered all the basics and fit most with their style of query.
These were just the main ideas, there is a lot more to know about queries but these were the things I couldn’t find anywhere else. I hope this helps you and have a great day!